A lifeguard is a person who is appointed by a water body to save/ rescue the people and swimmers during time of any danger. Many of us think about becoming a lifeguard ourselves. Maybe because the thought of being near ocean overwhelms or saving people’s lives sounds amazing, but this thought does cross our minds at some point or another. But while choosing lifeguarding as a career, you need to be sure of a lot of things. You will require meeting certain levels of skills and the idea of different courses available near you. I searched for it too and found out some information regarding it. Most of which is basically what types of courses are offered.
Lifeguard courses available near my area
1) Diploma in lifeguard management
- Duration of course is 3 months
- For males.
- Shifts are morning and evening.
- Guard should be of minimum 17 years.
- Person must be a graduated lifeguard.
- Examination includes practical, viva and project.
- It includes management of swimming pool premises like, water quality checks, hygiene and cleanliness, filtration plant operations, solving grievances and liaisons, and identifying needs of the swimming pool.
2) Diploma in swimming coaching management
- Duration is of 3 months.
- It is a full time course.
- For both male and female.
- Applicant must be a swimmer with good knowledge of swimming skills and techniques.
- He/she should be a certified swimmer level 1.
- Examination is practical.
- This course gives the ideals of a swim coach manager.
- The main skill which it provides excellence is strokes.
- Timing of stroking is very crucial.
3) First aid
- Duration of course is of 3 – 5 days.
- It provides basics of heart attack, bleeding, brain stroke, fracture, seizures, electrical shocks, frost bite, hypothermia, nose, ears and eyes emergencies, burns, heat stroke and exhaustion.
4) Consultation services
- It is for certified professionals to potential employers and consultation of swimming pool management and construction.
- It is a land based training programme.
- 15 participants can enrol at a time.
- Duration is of 7 days.
- It covers first aid, dry rescue, spinal injury management, lifesaving techniques and recognition of dangers in aquatic environment.
6) Beach lifeguard
- Duration of course is 3 months and is full time.
- It covers aquatic awareness, first aid and CPR, carriages, support and evacuations, personal safety and well being, anatomy and physiology of a human body, swimming skills, rescue techniques, facility management, patrols and water maintenance.
Apart from all these lifeguard courses near me, you can find other multiple short courses of different certification too.